Subject: Re: [Leica] HEXAR RF Limited with 50/1,2 in 2001 ?
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:07:00 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/00 6:22:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dante@umich.edu
writes:

<< That takes the cake.  I bought a Summicron because I liked the 35/2 Hexar
 lens... maybe demonstrates the depth of my depravity.  I always thought they
 looked about the same - the Hexar maintains a perfect circle aperture to
f/4.5,
 which is the only visible difference - the Summicron making a decagon (?) I
 understand the optical formulæ to be identical.

My '69 'cron, of which the Hexanon was supposedly a copy, does not exhibit
2-line bokeh.  This is a good example of what can be so frustrating about the
process of predicting an empirical result based on theoretical
considerations, specifically as relates to the appearance of out of focus
areas.  That does not negate, however, the validity of the phenomenon known
as bokeh.  One simply has to accept that it is neither completely controlled
nor predicted by such factors as the optical formula or number of blades,
nor, for that matter, the shape of a circle formed by light on film.
I bought the Hexar based upon a set of reasonable assumptions, as did you.
The intended use was to shoot at or near wide open, primarily in concert
halls.  Under those conditions, the camera was terrific, but the lens was
disappointing.

Joe Sobel