Subject: [Leica] Re: OT - Speed/Crown graphic
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:11:11 -0700

Johnny - My favorite is the Super Graphic (Not the Super D, which is
ancient) - all metal construction and very compact for field use. I heard
Toyo 4x5's were based on the Super. There is also the Super Speed Graphic -
same camera but with a 1/1000 speed lens shutter, but not to be confused
with the Speed Graphic (who *named* these Graphic cameras, anyway?!).
Probably $300 is a decent buy,  might have to pay a bit more.

I bought a Super with Rodenstock Sironar 135mm lens at a great price from a
friend  who only asked that he be able to buy it back within a year. A week
before the year was up, he bought it back - Rats! What a great setup that
was. I have a regular Speed Graphic, but I really liked the Super a lot
more. I've seen the Rodenstock 135 used for about $375

I also have a Graphic View II - not very pretty, but very functional with
long bellows (almost 1:1 close-ups, I think) and enough tilts, rises, etc to
straighten out any urban landscape. Out on the city sidewalk, a Graphic View
will convince anybody walking by that you are a *serious* photographer! Mine
came with a Kodak Ektar 203mm lens, which is excellent for copy work and
portraits- sharp but not as contrasty as modern lenses. I got that setup
along with a 4x5 enlarger at a garage sale, all for $200! Used Graphic Views
can sometimes be found for about $200.

Get good 4x5 lenses and good film - all you need is a light-tight box to
keep them at opposite ends!

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger