Subject: Re: [Leica] Meta Photokina
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:08:19 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/00 2:37:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
howard.390@osu.edu writes:

<<  would like to see *real* data to support the placement of the flash mount
 over the rewind lever on the F3.  I'll shut up if someone can show me that,
 but until I see something other than someone's esoteric mindgames and
 speculative 'what if' scenarios in support of why the mount should go over
 the rewind lever, I'll continue to point it out as a bad design decision.

Whoever pointed out in an earlier post that the design was a carryover from
the F and F2 probably has it right.  The F in particular had a rather
difficult and somewhat tentative mounting arrangement and locking mechanism
for the removable prism, which appears to have been continued into the F2.
The setup on the F3 was redesigned so as to be sufficiently positive and
stable that, as previously pointed out by another member, Nikon later
accommodated the pro's by building the F3P, with conventional shoe atop the
finder.  However, Nikon also sold some pretty powerful dedicated "potato
masher" flash gear that it must have hoped to sell to the pro market, with
cords that terminate in a shoe that mates to the contacts at the rewind knob
base.  These contacts, by the way, are different than those on the F and F2.
All of the foregoing is from memory, as I at one time was using Nikon SLR
gear, for the most part, probably up to about 1994.  For the real scoop,
better check the Nikon site, eh?

Joe Sobel