Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon 85/1.9
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:00:28 +1000

"Peter A. Klein" wrote:

> Has anyone actually used the Canon 85mm f/1.9 lens?  I may have the chance
> to buy one. I'd like to hear from someone who has actually used it.  The
> only information I've seen on this lens is that Steve Gandy says the Canon
> 85/2.0 and 1.9 are "not as good as the other Canons."
>
> Can anyone be more specific? I'm especially interested in its f/1.8-2.8
> available light performance, relative to the 90 Summicron or other known
> quantity.
>
> --Peter

Peter, I do owe this lens. I received it as part of a set. I don't know, if I
would have bought it separate, unless the price was really good. I personally
think the Russian 85mm lens is somewhat better, but I don't know how much they
vary.
The Cannon looks quite impressive, but it is very heavy. It has a rotating
focussing mount.
The filter thread is 48mm. I use a 48-49mm adapter with mine and a Pentax
105mm lens hood with it. (No vignetting with this hood) . This lens is ok for
portraits. Optically, I believe it is the lowest of all Cannon 80 -85mm
lenses. Having said all this, it is not a bad lens.   It is a pity nobody else
has replied, with maybe a different opinion. I may be a bit biassed.

I hope this helps a bit. Regards, Horst Schmidt.