Subject: Re: [Leica] More flash questions!
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:42:27 -0700

Martin,

There are a few tricks to avoid reflections but no magic.

Either the strobes are bounced from a flat surface such as mat white card,
wall, etc., or the flash is diffused at the head with translucent material
such as frosted plastic, white cloth, or paper (the farther the screen from
the head, the greater the diffusion). An other technique is to enclose the
subject in a tent, be it cloth, paper, or translucent plastic.

The alternative is to aim the flashes at such an angle that the reflection
will not be seen by the lens.
Try using a Nikon F3 since it has an off-axis flash shoe (I could not resist
that one).
Avoiding the angle of incidence is possible with flat subject surfaces but
not so easy for curved ones.

The additional benefit derived by using diffusion is that the contrast is
greatly reduced.

Ready, aim.......

Joe