Subject: [Leica] More lens trouble
From: RDD5TK@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 09:02:13 EDT

    You may recall that I had a six month old 50 summicron lens to
malfunction. Aperture ring locked up solid but loosen enough to finish using
after a couple of sharp raps on a table top. Looking into the front of the
lens one could see where several of the diaphram blades were jamming into one
another to the point of leaving scratching on the flat black surface of the
blades. Needless to say, I was disappointed especially since it was fairly
new. Sent it to NJ and after three phone calls they have agreed to replace it
but since they are out of stock it must come from Germany so allow three to
four weeks delivery. Okay, fine, no problem as Leica is doing the best I
could ask for by replacing a defective lens.

    Now, lets talk about my second of three Leica lens that I own that is
going to NJ and it's even newer than the 50 summicron. My 28 elmarit has two
diaphram blades creating scratches in two adjacent blades very similar to
what the 50 summicron was doing. The front edges appear to be rubbing against
the blades underneath them and creating very obvious scratches! There is a
very slight friction that can be felt when turning the aperture ring as
compared to my other lens, the 90 A A summicron which so far shows no signs
of any trouble.......... yet.   I talked with NJ, explained that I had
another one in trouble and would wait till I got the 50 back before sending
them the 28.

    What the hell is going on here??? Two M6 0.72 TTL silver bodies, two
grips, a 28 elmarit, 50 summicron, 90 AA summicron, and the SF 20 flash all
purchased new within the last seven months and treated very well (serious
amateur use) and I've already got two things malfunctioning?
    I'm very concerned. I bought this stuff with the idea its going to
outlive me (I'm 49), not an unreasonable assumption is it? I've been shooting
for nearly 30 years and early on heard about and have wanted Leica. My
initial response to using the gear is I love it and sorely wish I had gotten
it years ago. I am trying very, very hard to continue to love it but I don't
know if I can keep the faith if or when one more thing goes down. I've shot
Nikon since the mid eighties, owned lots of their stuff all the way through
their current AF offerings and never, ever had anything new (less than 5
years old) to fail. Since I am fairly new to Leica, please tell me, is this
type of thing common or am I experiencing a run of bad luck?

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] More lens trouble)