Subject: Re: [Leica] More lens trouble
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 14:15:08 EDT

In a message dated 9/23/00 9:06:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time, RDD5TK@aol.com
writes:

<< Since I am fairly new to Leica, please tell me, is this
 type of thing common or am I experiencing a run of bad luck?  >>

I recently bought a new M6TTL .72, which had a misaligned rangefinder.  The
factory rep got me a replacement within one week.  I cannot complain about
the service, but I was more than mildly surprised by the defect, after using
an M3 off and on for about 25 years.   New bodies and new lenses appear to me
to be lighter than previous versions like the heavily chrome plated brass 50
and 35 Summicrons I was accustomed to.  Focusing mounts of more recent lenses
 do not feel quite as strong or smooth, nor do diaphragm click stops feel as
firm or positive.
I surmise that certain trade-offs have been made in the designs of lenses and
selection of materials, in favor of weight reduction.  I suspect this leaves
less room for error in the assembly process and for hard or extreme use in
the field.  Meanwhile, I have to say that the lighter weight of the newer
lenses makes them easier to handle, especially where continous shooting is
required and fatigue becomes a factor.  Moreover, by objective standards,
they generally produce images of enhanced quality.
Therefore, to address your question directly,  I have concluded generally
that failures are probably more likely to occur with recent or latest vintage
equipment than with the "iron horses" we aspired to own when we were growing
up.  I base this assumption on what I have read, old and new equipment I own
and use, and a vastly greater quantity of gear I have handled in stores and
at many camera shows, as well as discussions with numerous dealers in new and
used Leica items.
However, your experience should not necessarily be regarded as typical.  All
things considered, I believe you have had bad luck, and we all empathize.

Joe Sobel