Subject: Re: [Leica] US EPA silver heavy metal pollution laws to zap film/paper?
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:17:51 -0700

That's the point. Nobody is trying to ban uses of silver, but they are
trying to stop the discharge of the stuff into the water---they're two
different things. It's nothing new, as the EPA and the state water pollution
control people here have been talking to the labs for at least 15 years in
an effort to promote silver recovery and cut down on discharges to the
combined sewer sytem. Interest is silver recovery seems to fluctuate with
the price of the metal---back when the Hunt brothers jacked up the price of
the stuff in the early 1980's, it seemed like every photographer had a
bathtub silver recovery operation on their back porch. But now, if you want
to recycle fixer, you take it to the local X-ray lab, as they're the only
ones with the economies of scale to make it pay for itself.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.