Subject: Re: [Leica] Salgado's Developer
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:16:28 -0400

on 25/9/00 3:21 pm, Dances_with Leicas at m6ttl72@hotmail.com wrote:

> Does anyone know what developer and dilution Sabastio Salgado uses for his
> tri-x?
> I need more edge contrast/acutance than xtol 1:1, and I would like to keep
> grain from becoming obnoxious. Any ideas? I would like to hear any
> suggestions.

Either go to Xtol at 1:3 which should do exactly what you want or (my
solution) use 1:1 but cut down on your agitation towards the end. For
example, I develop APX 400 for 12 minutes in Xtol 1:1. I agitate (very
gently) for 30s at the beginning then three slow inversions per minute until
four minutes are left, then three slow inversions per two minutes at the
end. Sometimes if I'm feeling brave I leave it for 3 minutes right at the
end. This gives you all the acutance you want. Theoretically there is a
danger of bromide streamers if you do this but I have never had any,
probably because at the end the rate of bromide production is very slow.

If you really want edge effects try this with Xtol 1:3.

You could use Rodinal or something but the grain would be hideous... unless
of course you are Sebastiao Salgado... who is said to use tri-x in rodinal
and P3200 in Tmax. although I have also heard he now uses Ilford Delta 3200.

You can check out the whole discussion, which was on rec.photo.darkroom a
while back, by clicking on this link:

http://www.deja.com/group/rec.photo.darkroom

then scroll to the bottom of the page and do a search for 'salgado' in the
'past' archive of messages.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com