Subject: Re: [Leica] IIIf ASA dial
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:20:01 -0500

My old Nikon F (vintage 1970) has a film speed reminder dial on the baseplate.
You can set the film speed opposite a red pointer or a black pointer.  And while
the CL has you set the film speed inside the shutter speed dial (to calibrate the
meter) it has a film TYPE reminder dial on its baseplate.  But the manufacturers
must have found that we photographers were so forgetful we couldn't remember to
reset the reminder dials, so they (some of them) started putting little windows
in their camera backs, and thus developed the AUTOMATIC film reminder system.

Cheers,
Kip

Krechtz@aol.com wrote, in part:

> I have long been troubled by this same question about roulette wheels, as
> well.  I believe you have described what is (or was) commonly known as a
> "film reminder dial".  The flat dial on the back door of the M series (prior
> to the M6, which uses the dial to set the meter) performs the same function.

<snip>