Subject: [Leica] Having a G1 moment
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:40:10 +0000

bmceowen wrote

Sorry, but I have to respond to this analogy. Sure, it's clever and all
but
I'm not sure this charge is really fair . . .
SNIP. . . You have
to do the same thing with the Contax. Yep, you have to prefocus and wait
for
the moment. If you wait to focus until the moment happens you will miss
the
moment. Yes, it's true, just like with the Leica you have to think a bit
when
you use a Contax. If  you want to slam the Contax that's fine with me
but why
not slam it for things that really are bothersome -- like the focus
noise . .

I certainly pushed a button!  : )

My experience with the Contax left me wanting to slam in into a tree.
Much as I tried to get with the prefocus tricks, I can't tell you how
often I was frustrated, especially when you can push the button and
nothing--NOTHING--happens until it wakes up and focuses.  In an
otherwise brilliant camera, lens and design, this one thing (well, the
noise was an annoyance too) made it a non-starter.  Even for still life
shooting, the focus is a problem when on a tripod and the point you want
focused not at the center spot.

Anyway, I was just pulling up the emotions that I was feeling, and that
which I experienced using the G1 matched perfectly.   That's all.

Back to Leica praising and bashing...

donal
- --
Donal Philby