Subject: Re: [Leica] Snapping and social work
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:41:43 -0400

> I disagree, Robert.  The photography that I take to make money - stock
> photography - and the photography that I take to make a difference -
> "social work" - are totally different.  One is aesthetically motivated -
> stock photography - I am trying to take the best composed, exposed photo
> that will sell for the most money.  The other - "social work" - is
> motivated by the desire to change things for the better.  I am trying to
> take the photograph that will communicate what I see and feel to others so
> that they will be motivated to do something.  I hope that the photographs I
> take to make a difference are much better than those I take to make a buck.
> I also hope that the motivation of a worthy cause helps me to take better
> pictures, not worse.

Tina:

Making a buck and making a change photography both should command the
image-makers full utililzation of artistic and communicative skills.  I
don't understand how you can say they  *are totally different.*  Your
emotional state may be different but surely not your devotion to creating
the best visual statement.

I could no more short change my stock agents than my social change clients
or anyone using/buying my vision.

The only difference I see is the audience and many times that is the same.
The purpose of our craft is to communicate an idea in a graphic manner.  Our
images are always used to sell a product(except those that get hung on a
wall), that product can be travel/destination, stuff, etc. or ideas,
feelings; but in the end it is still a way to inform the viewer through
photography.

Of course, the Leica vision is purer...on topic now

Happy snaps,

Steven Alexander