Subject: [Leica] R 2.8/24
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:15:18 +0200

> Hi LUGers!
>
> Are there any opinions about the R 2.8/24?
>
> Need your advice ....
>
> Bye,
>
> Joachim

<<<<<

I had it and liked it. It's the perfect focal length for intimate
photography. It became my normal lens for a while. Then I dumped the R's
and went to the M's. Now I have the M 24 asph and it's another world. Just
no comparison.
I never felt that the quality of slides with the R version jumped out at
you, I just liked it for the focal length. The M version has both. If you
want exceptional optical quality maybe the R 19 2.8 is more the ticket
(hearsay, not experience).
IMO, the new M lenses in the wide to normal range leave the R lenses for
dead (although I havent used the R 50 1.4, which Erwin praises very
highly). The famous R 35/2.0 is not in the same league at all. If they ever
make a 50/1.4 with the look of the 35/1.4 asph I'll buy it without even
looking at the price tag.
The only drawback of the M lenses is the close focussing distance - it's
not close.
Rob.
Robert Appleby
V. Bellentani 36