Subject: Re: [Leica] Second camera to keep in the car?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 06:19:30 -0700

ZaaX@aol.com wrote:

> I am considering buying a second camera to always keep in my trunk. The kit that I am considering is a used Nikon FM2n loaded with TMZ3200, a Gossen Digital Luna Pro or a meter that uses no batteries and either a 50mm 1.2 or 50mm 1.4 lens.
> Is it a good idea to keep a camera in the car year round? If high temperatures are harmful would it be ok to store it there from the fall to the spring? Would cold harm anything? How about the batteries in the camera and the meter?
> BTW I do own an M6ttl and a few lenses but really do not want to store them in my car. I would not feel near as bad if the Nikon was damaged or stolen than if the Leica was.  Plus the above outfit would cost less than my 50mm Summicron-M!
> Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Zack Schindler

I always keep my gear in the same conditions which I thrive in.
Even a trunk of a white car can get to be over 100 degrees F. when the sun comes
out a bit in no time!
Both your film and the lubrication in your camera can be screwed up in no time.
Your stuff just bakes in there. Bakes and bakes.
I'm also not for the glove compartment. I could not thrive in there either. (Too small)
so I'd recommend against this idea of a camera to keep in your car at all times.
Keep your camera ON you. That's my opinion and advise.
mark rabiner
maybe the desk in your office
And for what possible reason should this camera be a Nikon? Why not an M3?