Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Photokina Question
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:39:41 -0600

Thank you for your reply. I have always felt that the jamming and shutter
problems with the M winders was not with the winders but with the camera
bodies (discounting the earliest Winder M4-2). The winder is set to go when
the drive coupling is released and the drive coupling is released by the
camera's shutter mechanism. The M4-2 and newer cameras seem to have
inconsistent release points on the shutter button This leads me to believe
that some cameras release the drive coupling to allow the winder/motor to
work before the camera is really ready. I am feel that a micro-switch in the
camera body is going to be a necessary modification down the line. You say
that your Rapidwinder does not bump the shutter release up and down. Is this
true even if you operate it in "continuous" mode; that is, (rapid) winding
as fast as you can with the shutter release held depressed? I would have
thought that in this situation, similar to the winder/motor in continuous,
would require the shutter release to be pushed up and unlock the wind
mechanism.

YoUrS wInDiNgLy

John Collier

The fact they would not let you actually use the winder leads me to suspect
that it will be many moons before we really see one in the flesh.