Subject: Re: [Leica] Color vs B&W
From: "David E. Labovitz" <del@pscc.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 23:49:58 -0400

I'm checking in a little late, as usual.

Much as I thought immediately of Ted Grant's dictum with respect to
photographing clothes vs. souls, I later changed my mind.

We're all judging by the limited capabilities of our monitors -- in
my case a sad excuse for reasonable color rendering.  The black and
white jumps off the screen, owing in large part to the eyes and the
black background.  In the color image, the pink dress is a
distraction, but mostly because the eyes appear muddy -- they don't
compete.

With some work, the color image can, I think, be made to jump off the
screen just as vigorously as does the black and white.  If that were
done it looks to me as if it would run away with the title.

Dave.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Color vs B&W)