Subject: [Leica] Color vs B&W
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 22:45:52 -0700

At 05:10 PM 9/29/00 -0400, Tina Manley wrote:
>LUGnuts -
>
>What do you think?
>
>http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Photo%20of%20Week/photo.htm

This was a rough one for me.  I almost always prefer B&W for "people
pictures."  But in this case, I'm going to go with the color.  The purple
dress is echoed, less intensely, by the color of the lips and highlights on
the face.  The purples beautifully complement the rich, dark skin tones.

I do agree that the B&W version is more a picture of the girl, whereas the
color version is of a girl in a purple dress.  But in this case, I like the
colors so much I would pick the color verson.

I asked my wife, who is not a photographer, which she preferred.  She
picked the color version, with no coaching, for much the same reason.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

- --- Peter