Subject: Re: [Leica] leica 100/4 macro for leicaflex
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 06:04:28 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/2000 5:21:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Mrry33@aol.com
writes:

<< i will usw the 100 for portraits and macro....i am concerned with
sharpness
 and color rendition on macro and portraits.. >>
I have two of these lenses, one  is attached to the Leicaflex bellows (older
version) and the other has its own mount. I have found them to be extremely
sharp both at macro and longer distances.
I think the lens is less satisfactory in the portrait mode because it is an
F4 design. I prefer larger apertures for portraits and use the 90 Summicron R
wide open for that purpose.
There has been some comment here about this lens not being so "good." I
disagree, having used it since it was first introduced. If you do not obtain
high definition images with it, something is wrong with your technique. But,
it is F4, not 2.8, and the new 100, 2.8 will beat it.
However, if you do much close-up work you realize that you need to stop down
anyway to get enough depth of field, so the utility of 2.8 is questionable
unless you are photographing flat surfaces.
Bob Figlio