Subject: [Leica] Veiling Flare in an M4-P
From: Bert Otten <e.otten@med.rug.nl>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 11:32:12 +0100

Regularly I have a veiling flare in my negatives and slides
using the 35/2 Summicron latest non-ASPH and the
21/2.8 Elmarit ASPH.
The flare occurs with strong side lights and does not
affect a 1.7 mm strip at the lower border of the negative
in the camera (which is at the top of the image when seen correctly).
The flare is strongest close to this unaffected strip and is visible
throughout the rest of the image.

The thoughts I have about this is that the deeper rim of the shutter
housing seen from the back of the camera is shielding the lower
strip from flare. This suggest that the rays come from the bottom
of the inside of the leica camera in which the plastic plug is pushed.

Testing with a strong flashlight reveiled no leakage from outside,
so it must be reflection from the black painted bottom itself from
light coming through the lens.

I noticed that the M4-P has no light baffle immedeately behind
the lens mount, while the M6 has such a baffle.

So, there are three questions I like to pose to the Leica Group:

1)    Has anybody seen the same kind of flare (with the 1.7 mm strip)

2)    If so, in what camera and with what lens and what is your
explanation

3)    Did Leica put this baffle in the M6 to avoid the flare I see in my
M4-P
or does it have a function in the light meter system of the M6.

Thanks very much indeed for any input on this topic,

    Bert Otten

Replies: Reply from Bert Otten <e.otten@med.rug.nl> (Re: [Leica] Veiling Flare in an M4-P)
Reply from "Mark Rutledge" <markrut@ticnet.com> (Re: [Leica] Veiling Flare in an M4-P)