Subject: [Leica] Re: 35mm vs. large format
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@metaversalstudios.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 10:21:55 -0400

At 11:07 PM 10/1/00 -0700, you wrote:
> > There are many, many photographs "take-able" with 35 that aren't
> > possible with medium or large format equipment, even using tripods. As
> > you know, there is no medium/large format equivalent to the 35/1.4 ASPH,
> > or the 90/2 ASPH, or the 12 or 15 Cosinas, or the 280/2.8, etc.

All of these lenses are available in equivalent focal lengths in large
format; the only thing you're missing is speed.  I can't imagine too many
situations where speed is of the essence and a large, heavy tripod is also
necessary.  Perhaps certain kinds of sports and theatre photography?  In
which case you're better with autofocus, anyway.  This is *not* the way to
use a Leica.  The M series was designed for handheld, surreptitious
photography, and it does this better than any other camera on the
market.  As soon as you start dragging around your massive tripod to get
the most out of your lens, you're suddenly getting much less out of your
camera.  I have a Gowland Pocket View that weighs little more than a couple
of M3's, and I'd much rather put that on top of a heavy tripod, if that's
the way I'm going to shoot.

I can't name a single great Leica photographer who relied on a heavy tripod.

Douglas Cooper

THE NEW STANDARD GALLERY

Laetitia:  Shall we set a new standard for the gallery?
Rose:     No, let us make the standard gallery new.

				- Measure This Measure, Act 5, Scene iv