Subject: RE: [Leica] TWO AMAZING PHOTOS
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:58:20 -0400

Hey...First, my posting the note wasn't to get anyone to agree with me, just
to get them to look...:-)

Second, I think the combat one is, as you say, exquisite....To me it is easy
Pulitzer spot news contender...as you say, the idea that the photographer
could compose it and snap it at just the right instant - even if it was part
of a motorized sequence - under fire that way, is mind boggling...and though
I would prefer it in B&W, the color is pretty terrific...

As to the GORE photo...I think the composition is wonderful, the color is
quintessential Florida....Like the combat photo, it captures a
quintessential moment in our quadrennial political combat - the candidate
captured by "the folks.." If it was just a shot of Gore posing, I'd agree
with your take...but the shot o  the tourist taking the shot of the
candidate posing with tourists is just too perfect...as is the gut hanging
over the "photographers" bathing suit...The position of the beach chairs and
the way they, the photographer and the Gore group form a sort of
circle....it just all works for me....but, hey, this is what horse races and
photo contests are all about, right?;-)

B. D.