Subject: Re: [Leica] TWO AMAZING PHOTOS
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:24:41 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

 My point here isn't to be "hurt" that my post was ignored, but to find it
> > absolutely astounding that a post attempting to elicit a discussion of
> > current - as in TODAY's photography - gets essentially no response, when
> > every other subject does....makes me wonder what people use all their
> > expensive Leica equipment for.....;-)
> >
> > B. D.

Hello, B.D.-etc.....

I'd like to reply to your message, because this question or a variation comes up
in other fields, as well as the LUG.....

It's possible to be a camera collector/investor and neither an enthusiast
nor photographer.

First, it is possible to be a camera enthusiast and NOT a photographer or vice versa.
.
It's possible to be a repairman and neither an enthusiast nor a photographer.

It's possible to be a guitar collector and never play a guitar.

It's possible to collect telegraph keys and NOT operate with morse code (for those
into that)

these things are possible, but unlikely.....it is however, very likely that a
camera collector/enthusiast will be a POOR photographer, and that a GREAT photographer
may be HELL on gear...or have little knowledge of current gear.....and a guitar collector is
LIKELY a piss-poor player....

So we have:
Investor
Collector
Photographer
Artist
"user" (medical documentation, for example)
Enthusiast non-owner (folks who read the LUG and don't have or intend to buy Leicas---
   I'd bet there are some....)
Other descriptions??????
My "repair mentor" generally hated photography and photographers....they were
his income, but also a pain in the ass (Leica owners?!?!?!?)-He DIDN'T take pictures!!
and he ridiculed me for owning cameras (Leicas/Nikon/Rolleis)--said they just
"wasted my time"......

Now MOST of us are two or more of these things, but it doesn't HAVE to be
that way......also, there are those enthusiasts/photographers who don't WANT
to look at anyone else's work....don't go to shows, buy magazines, or whatever....
I don't reccomend it, but they're out there.....
Just some random thoughts based on MY experiences......

Walt