Subject: Re: [Leica] JPEG or TIFF
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:30:10 -0700

At 1:06 PM -0400 10/3/00, Paul Chefurka wrote:
>On Tue, 3 Oct 2000 12:20:55 -0400 , "Lee, Jonathan"
><Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca> wrote:
>

>>Luggers,
>>
>>I am just trying out a HP S20 scanner.  The software allows me to save files
>>in either TIFF or JPEG format. Is there any advantage in using one or ther
>>other, assuming the color and BW images will be exported to Photoshop for
>>manipulation and output.
>>
>>Jonathan Lee
>
>Use TIFF if you're going to bring it into PS.  TIFF data is
>unmanipulated raw data, whereas JPEG always gets some degree of
>massaging (i.e. compression) resulting in data loss.  If you want
>JPEGs, create them in PS after you've done your corrections.
>
>Paul

Actually, the highest level of JPEG compression is lossless. This is
available in Photoshop and some other programs, but not every one (and is
generally poorly documented). Your scanner software is unlikely to have
this option, so TIFF or some form of raw or unmanipulated format is best.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com

Message from "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca> ([Leica] JPEG or TIFF)