Subject: [Leica] finder intrusion
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 20:40:01 -0500

>"I'm sorry, Emanuel, but that's not true. The percentage of intrusion into
>the framed image is exactly the same with all three finders. You might see
>more of your lens through the viewfinder on a .58, but the intrusion into
>any given framelines will be exactly the same with any magnification of
>viewfinder, given a similar accuracy of framing.

>The viewfinder is at exactly the same position relative to the lens in all
>three (or 4, counting the M3) different cameras, and your cone of vision is
>exactly the same for any framed view with a frameline of a given focal
>length.

>  *            Henning J. Wulff
>  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
> /###\   mailto:
> |[ ]|     http://www.archiphoto.com"

Henning, I stand corrected on the percentage of finder intrusion with different
magnifications. For that, I thank you.

However, it is obvious upon inspection that the lower mag. finders feature a more
annoying appearance of the intruding lens into the finder. This, coupled with the
issue of easier binocular viewing and greater focussing accuracy mean, for me at
least, that I choose to use the highest mag. finder possible with a given lens. That
means .85 for 35mm lenses, the M3 finder for 50mm and up (I don't use the 75mm, BTW),
.72 for the 28mm lens only. We'll see what the .58 has to offer for non-glasses
wearers.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal