Subject: [Leica] A little too much play in the aperture ring?
From: Grégoire Vandenschrick <vandenschrick@geog.ucl.ac.be>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 10:55:38 +0200

Dear all,

I use now my beautiful wedding gift for 20 days now (remember, Leica M6 TTL
0.72 silver chrome with summicron 35mm ASPH.) and don't know if I do become
a little crazy, or is there really a little problem with the lens.

Let's try to quantify it: with or without the lens shade, this is the same,
and whatever the aperture I choose, the ring has, let's say a half
millimeter movement from front to back in the bottom part of the ring,
strangely, not the top part of the ring (I design the "bottom" of the ring
the part of the aperture ring that is in contact with the table when you put
the camera with lens in the normal position on... a table for instance, ok?
and the top part of the ring the one you look at to choose the aperture, the
one in vis-à-vis with the white index of the lens shade). So, the bottom
part of the ring move from front to back on a half millimeter play. I know
that such a play will not alarm a lot of people when you read it, but
please, take your lens, and check if your aperture ring has the same play
and let me know if you find it perfect, normal or disastrous. This is the
kind of thing that keep me awake all night long.

Thank you to check this detail on your 35 summicron ASPH.

mine has #3879890

N.B. I don't speak here of the little more opening you can have foregoing
the aperture f/2 setting

Thank you again,

Gregoire Vandenschrick
Brussel