Subject: RE: [Leica] 50mm finder
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:03:41 -0400

Frank, I don't think that what Bill is talking about is an Albada finder,
unless I'm really off base (please tell me if I am).

I have a couple of 50mm Voigtlander Kontur finders, and they are very
similar to what he mentions.  They were made and marketed for the Vitessa
(which I have), and the Prominent (I think).

The finder is black (opaque) except for two illuminated framelines, one for
infinity and one for 1m.  (Oh, and there's also a dot in the center of the
infinity frame for convenience).  To use it you keep both eyes open and
look through the finder with one eye.  Your brain puts both images together
and bingo, you see your scene and a projected frameline.  A bit strange,
but it's pretty effective.  The only issue with a Leica M is that my nose
ends up right on the eyepiece, which isn't great for a clear finder.  But
they work fine.

I understand that Voigtlander made a 35mm version of the finder, but I
haven't been able to find one.  Be careful, the 50mm finder says "35mm" on
the front, so many dealers get confused and think that it's a 35mm finder.

Look here on Stephen Gandy's site for more info and a picture:
http://www.cameraquest.com/leicafin.htm and
http://www.cameraquest.com/voitvitl.htm.

Skip