Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] Leica R death
From: "Simon Coates" <michael@scoates.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 19:08:49 +0100

>A Visoflex would be the
>answer to almost all of your woes.
>
>Marc

I beg to differ here - I think that the R system is the perfect solution for
reflex photography.  The M is the best rangefinder camera system;  they are
two totally different systems.
I suppose fitting a viso onto an M makes it a fully fledged SLR, but at the
end of the day: the M camera was designed as a rangefinder!  I have never
owned an M camera, primarily because I mainly shoot
wildlife/landscape/natural history, and no people photography, where the M
really shines.  For me, the R6.2 is the most perfect camera;  using a viso
does not give me the following features(as far as I know), which I consider
essential for the photography I do:

- - shutter speed/aperture indication in the viewfinder;
- - depth of field preview, and a fully automatic diaphragm;
- - mirror lock-up facility;
- - selective AND average metering.

By the way, does the viso eliminate infinity focus?

I find the M6 is a lovely camera to use, although I could not justify
purchasing it for the photography I do; the advantages (quiet operation,
lightness and size, unique focusing, etc.) would make no difference to me.
Maybe when I have my R system complete, I may be tempted; the Noctilux alone
is reason enough!

Simon