Subject: [Leica] albada "blackout" type finder
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:33:58 EDT

<<

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 08:38:15 -0700

From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>

Subject: RE: [Leica] 50mm finder

It is called an Albada finder.....

Frank Filippone

red735i@earthlink.net

One of the most intriguing photo gizmos I ever heard about was the Zeiss

50mm

"finder" that was opaque except for the frame line.  You completed the

visual field with your other eye.>>

Yes, it is interesting and I believe it has almost no optics in it. Probably
made for budget reasons instead of a "real" finder. Maybe Mark can tell us
more now that he is back.

As cool as it is the first time you try it, you will soon get a migraine
headache that no aspirin can quench if you use it for too long. At least I
did. It is kind of like watching a 3-D movie, your eyes just freak out after
a while and your frontal lobes start swelling like a Ferangie (sp?) on Star
Trek.<g> I think it is because you are trying to focus one eye close while t
he other eye far. You need to train your one eye to "relax" since you don't
need sharp focus on the finder, but it easy to say and damn hard to do.

Get the Leica 50mm finder and you'll be happier for it! You can do the same
thing without th e headache.

later,
Rich