Subject: [Leica] Re: Kenya and long lenses
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@metaversalstudios.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 23:17:05 -0400

At 03:59 PM 10/4/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I would like to add a
>longer lens but I don't want to spend a lot of money.  This will be lens
>that won't get much use probably.

I used to lead birding safaris in Kenya, and my advice -- heresy on this
list, I'm afraid -- is to rent a C*n*n autofocus for the trip, with at
least a 400mm lens.  (Check photodo for the best-rated long lenses.)  And
have it insured to the hilt -- yes, Kenya is a dangerous place, *much* more
dangerous than when I was there (in the late eighties -- and even then
there were gangs with machetes in Nairobi).

You'll want the long lens and the autofocus if you want to shoot birds at
all.  And believe me:  you will want to shoot birds.  Even if you think
you're there mainly for the people.  I wasn't the slightest bit inclined
towards birdwatching until I went to Kenya, where the average bird seems to
have either a six-foot wingspan or colors you didn't think you'd ever find
in nature.  Or both.  Kenya is, with Peru (and perhaps Ecuador), the most
glorious birdwatching terrain on earth.  You don't even have to leave
Nairobi to encounter spectacular winged things.  I interviewed the world's
champion birdwatcher, who lives in Lake Baringo -- this was my first
published piece, ever! -- and he has identified, if I remember, some 1400
species in Kenya.

And yes, you'll want to shoot mammals as well, many of which you want to
keep somewhere around the infinity focus point.  (The two most dangerous
animals in Kenya?  The buffalo, and the hippotamus.  Responsible for many
more deaths than lions, leopards, etc.  But don't be nervous:  I've never
felt in safer hands than with those guys who drive the official safari
vans.  Even if you head out for only a day or two, you'll be with one of
these guys.  They all have about twenty years' experience.)

There's no way you'll be able to afford a Leica lens to do this kind of
work (and I'm not precisely sure that such a lens, if it exists, would
outperform the C*n*n in that range).  Also, you might want to think twice
about exposing your own ultra-expensive equipment to the rigors of the
Kenyan game parks:  the dust can be horrendous, and optical equipment
doesn't like to be vibrated, six hours a day, in a truck trying to make its
way over nonexistent roads.  Rent the equipment, and have *them* deal with
cleaning and tightening it.  (You'll certainly pay enough.)

Oh, and take your Leica for the people, of course...

I envy you.  You'll have the time of your life.

cheers,

Douglas Cooper