Subject: [Leica] Re: Kenya
From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 05:45:29 -0700

Tina, my daughter just returned from 2 months in Kenya and Uganda. While in
Kenya she signed up for a short wildlife safari. One day the Safari camped
at a watering place together with a few other safari outfits. In the
morning, a tourist, against the instructions of the safari leader,"went for
a walk". When he did not return a search was begun which discovered him 200
feet from the tent trampled to death by an elephant. It appeared he had
encountered the elephant, started to take photos, and then ran from the
charge. You can't run away from an angry african elephant. The tourist was a
British Army officer on vacation with his family. The incident ocurred in
daylight in a regular campground with concrete tent pads, tables, many
people around, etc. Local experts said a man taking photos appears to the
elephant to be a challenging and agressive person. The elephant not only
trampled him into the ground, but, ripped up small trees and stabbed the
corpse with branches. African elephants are not safe like Indian elephants.

Another incident she reported happened in the coastal town of Lamu near
Mombassa. An american yachtsman offered to assist local villagers with an
electric wiring problem. He was working on the wires when the power suddenly
came on. It was fatal.

It can be argued that both these men were careless. However, the point is
that they weren't in Kansas anymore...  I know you are an experienced
globetrotter, not a naive tourist. If it was me in Africa I would pay very
close attention to warnings given by locals and have my common sense turned
up to full power.

She was never robbed or threatened, but, stayed out of known danger zones in
Nairobi and Kampala. In Uganda there appears to be little law enforcement
outside the cities and local people will apply swift vigilante justice to
criminals. She worked with HIV/AIDS infected orphans in Uganda. The disease
is pandemic in Africa. Be sure to bring your own syringe and needle kit in
case you need a shot.

What a great opportunity you have!

Bon Voyage,

Bill Lawlor