Subject: [Leica] Re: 'Playing' with Leicas
From: "Richard Setchim" <RVYS@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 20:08:02 +0100

I think Gary Todoroff got it just right - or to put it the way my wife does:
what separates men from boys is the size of their toys.

As a boy, and well before I could afford a Leica,  I memorized the whole
Leica catalogue and could tell you exactly what adaptor (serial number and
deliciously arcane code name) to use with every lens. I relish the link with
my past every time I trip the Leica shutter.

Converts can be made too. I was caught using (ie playing with) the 65mm
Elmar on a SL2. Not mated to 14167 via 16464 OTZFO as some might do, but
with Focusing Bellows II. Yes it does focus on infinity but it is a truly
clumsy combination. I was expecting mockery. Instead: "Now that is cool"
said my 19-year old and he really wanted to know the why's and wherefore's.
As he appreciated the precision of the Leica gears on the 32 y/o bellows,
and my enjoyment of them, I think he began to realize that things like these
help keep men sane in the modern world. I hope so.

Regards.