Subject: Re: [Leica] Corbis and Bill Gates question.
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 07:50:29 +0800

on 6/10/00 2:31 AM, Johnny Deadman at john@pinkheadedbug.com wrote:

> Gates knows that content is king. He is building the library of Alexandria.
> It's a very smart move IMO. All those agencies are going to start looking
> very undervalued when Gates owns them all.
The only problem is that neither he nor the agencies own the content. The
lawyers are trying their best to change that it seems though. There is one
other thing: in common with most Internet start ups they have no business
model to speak of and the only way to make their editorial photography
business to look like it is growing is to buy out more and more agencies. So
far this has resulted in greater and greater losses in $s and defections of
photographers and agency staff.

I was with Saba for ten years until this summer when I reluctantly left
after he sold out to Gates. My feeling is that the only way forward will
soon be for each photographer to run their own mini agency on the 'net,
hassle though that will be for all concerned. In the meantime I am with
Getty which is in much the same situation as Corbis only as a publicly
listed company far more accountable. My photos are still my photos and will
remain that way unless a very very good reason to change that comes along.

Rs

Adrian

p.s. what happens to the copyright of all the film work you do after the
initial usage?
- --
Adrian Bradshaw
Corporate and Editorial Photography