Subject: Re: [Leica] R5, R-E --> Leica Rx
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:25:56 -0400

Adrian Bradshaw wrote:
[ snip ]
An R6.3 with high speed motor option,
modern flash system, stepless shutter speeds,
quiet, and rock solid traditional build
would be a winner. I am sure there is a market for this.

	--> Many pros doing the sort of journalistic
	photography people claim the Leica M is superior
	for seem to be opting for Nikon (Canon ?) digital
	camera bodies as this makes production much
	faster, to a newspaper for instance.

	--> Ask yourself this question:
	     Would I start (buy) a camera shop now ?

	. . . Backtrack everything below from your answer.

	I'm NOT worried at all for Leica's future:
	there will always be a market for items that
	spell "reward -- being good to myself".

	Personally, I think Leica's next big success with
	the "advanced amateur" is likely to be a new high
	tech 35mm rangefinder, not necessarily optical as now,
	possibly incorporating avant-garde optics / optronics,
	where 'M' stands for one of its various user modes,
	all metal, built to last 10 years or more, using the
	M lenses or coming with a high performance
	zoom, all weather design, droppable, lighter,
	advanced innovations making it a photographer's
	"composition tool" -- that also looks like a camera
	not a me-too all-plastic ghetto blaster -- something
	to get the collectors exited too.

	At times, we have to look at the capital-equipment
	available, and see how it could be maximized
	for profitable business and social responsibility
	of the firm. The experience of the production staff
	is one major asset and component of the Leica success
	equation.

	To me, the interesting camera SYSTEMS, other than Leica,
	would currently be the Canon EOS 3 and Contax G2,
	probably the Nikon F100, as "real photo" focus products
	incorporating trend-setting alternate technologies
	and product definitions. Add Ricoh GR-1, of course.

	I'm not convinced all mechanical is the future,
	to a profit seeking firm, seeking a broader market
	capable of sustaining it and a pro-active dealer
	network. I agree, pros need it often,
	but German Laws, salaries and labour constrictions are
	quite steep demands on a responsible operations manager
	executive and CEO, compared to North America.

	Let's see what develops ! Probably a no-nonsense
	next generation 'M' soon, but it may turn out to
	be a product that uses the 'R' series production lines
	and well trained specialized employees.

	Andre Jean Quintal