Subject: Re: [Leica] Difference between Bill Gates and God?
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 07:20:13 +0800

on 6/10/00 9:16 PM, Dan Post at dpost@triad.rr.com wrote:

> I may be missing something, but why all the razzing on ole Bill? Gates did
> what all of us wish they could do- come up with an idea, run with it all the
> way to the bank, and become 'a contender'!
There is more to the story than that Dan: read some of the posts by
photographers, some of the stories in the press and and look at what Corbis
is doing. Bill Gates is muscling in on a lot of individuals and small
companies using his vast cash resources and clever lawyers to create an
anti-competitive market and stifle a lot of creative resources simply to add
to his bottom line in some distant year. He is trying to engineer a
monopolistic environment for the photography market and has little concern
for the creative endeavour at least some of the people on the LUG live for
and from and most at least respect, surely?

I have met Gates and many of the people that work at Corbis and have no
personal grudge against them as individuals. In fact I like almost all of
them but I feel the business model is wrong for them, us and the world at
large. It does not even make a profit (as far as it is possible to tell from
a tight-lipped private company) so this is not another tale of good old
capitalism showing the way.

Rs

Adrian
- --