Subject: [Leica] Digital M and R cameras, and other musings
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 15:44:19 -0400

Luggers,
    Come on people, do you really think the people at Leica are that inept
as to not be working on digital M and R cameras?
    Without betraying any confidences, I can say, Leica IS definitely
working in the digital area. They have their own ideas, and are trying to
work them out.
    Also, I do not think they want to just rebadge someone else's camera
when they enter the higher end digital market.
    The way I see thing shaping up, the Leica future is exciting but, of
course it won't come fast enough for many of us.
    The same this hold true of an auto-exposure M6. They ARE working on it
and want it to be a REAL Leica, not a rebadged Hexar.
    As for Pascal's worry about a clear path, for the R cameras. I think
they have one, but aren't talking about it.
    At the Photokina LUG meeting, Stephan Daniels stated Leica has about 60
people in its Research and Development department. Their people have to
finish one project before they start another.
    I will make a Fearless DiMarco forecast, for the 2002 Photokina, there
will be many new R products. Maybe not a new camera, but developments in the
R system.
Happy Snaps,
Sal