Subject: Re: [Leica] Lense test targets...recommendations?
From: "Michael Volow" <mvolo@duke.edu>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 22:24:59 -0400

The best lens test targets I found a few years ago (don't know if they still
are marketed) were the ones from Rochester Institute of Technology
(Rochester NY). They included both low and high contrast targets, and used
alphanumeric characters rather than lines (made it easier to tell if a spot
was resolved). In addition, they included a calibration strip to put under
the microscope along with the film, so the lens/target distance /
magnification didn't make any difference. I have both some Edmund Scientific
targets and the old Modern Photography USAF targets too, but I think the
R.I.T. targets are best. Others may disagree with me.

Then there are those who scoff at flat targets or non-MTF lens tests.