Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R8 replacement - Leica going digital
From: "Jem Kime" <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 09:06:32 +0100

George,
This product has been mentioned before on the LUG, there is a website (URL
not available to me at present) but I think Erwins site has a link. Erwin
has also conducted an extensive report which was published in Camera and
Darkroom.

It is a varicontrast module for the V35 enlarger (it is also available for
other enlargers) and replaces the VC V35 module. The advantage is that
rather than applying a mixed filter value the exposure is made up of two
seperate exposures each working directly onto the two ends of the spectrum
which affect the paper sensitivity to hard and soft tones. This, in theory,
gives better detail in highlights without losing the crispness of detail
that comes from the contrast of a harder grade. There is a sensor which
measures light values and then calculates exposure and apparent grade, there
are also the profiles of a round a dozen different papers already installed
within the programming /control box, this acts like a timer.
I should emphasise that although I mentioned the new Oriental paper in my
last report, this is not a programmed paper and I was guessing, in the
normal old fashioned manner, exposure for this.
New paper profiles will be downloadable from e-mail and computer when
available. Full adjustment is possible and the altering of profiles for ones
personal tastes is also possible.
Full instructions in English are included and incidentally the product is
made in Wetzlar as the manufacturer was with Leitz/Leica originally.

In recognising that my initial report, after a couple of hours use was less
than complimentary I shall return to it to create a more rounded impression
before reporting further.

Jem