Subject: Re: [Leica] This tripod nonsense again
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 21:56:51 -0700

Howdy Mike.

Nice to see you spending a moment with us.  How's the new job going? Have a
Leica run over by a train yet? ;-)

Mike Johnston wrote:

> [...]
ensure you get dead pictures. I can't think of any better way to "capture"
the indecisive moment.<<<<<<<<<<<

Well you know that's absolutely right and I understand that on the use of
tripods, breathing etc. But what really pisses me off with some of these
esoteric theorists is, that when they lay down their mantra that it's the only
way to achieve photographic perfection.  I mean, that without question is bull
shit,  when it comes to real picture taking!  Unless the only thing you shoot is
rocks, ferns and non breathing things off a tripod. Hell, that even excludes
grass blades waving in a breeze!

strictly to absolutely maximize photographic resolution--a very esoteric
pursuit.<<<<<<<

Well that's very admirable, nice guy or not. His theory means diddly for nearly
every real time shooting photographer in the world. Fine, if this guys goal is
to do nothing more than record how many squigglies per mm the glass cuts on a
piece of film that's all well and good. However, Real Photographers don't need
any more screw ball heart beat diddly theories causing mental distraction in
capturing " their decisive moments!"

Maybe it's just me getting crotchety in my old age, but long before these glass
theory and heart beat guys came along with their "only best way" to shoot
pictures, one hell of a bunch of very fine photographers passed this way and did
extremely fine sharp ass photography.  And I'd bet the majority didn't know a
heart beat pause from a Summilux or widget!

ted