Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Steady as she goes there, lad [y]
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 20:13:06 -0700

Mark wrote:
> > GEEEEZ! Do you work for Hasselblad? You'd think someone insulted your
kid or
> > something!
> Austin replied:
> No, I just don't like absurd statements that have no basis in reality

I *am* describing the reality, Austin. Same photographer (me), same camera
(Hasselblad), identical technique (already described), but different
aircraft. The Cessna shots are perfectly sharp. The helo shots are often
blurry. And that is the reality.

I had lunch today with Sy Beattie, who has been taking aerial photos since
flying torpedo bombers with George Bush (the elder) and navigating blimps
here off the coast of Eureka. He showed me his Ken-Lab K-6 (drool . . .)
gyro, and described how much it helped, especially out of helicopters. We
agreed that what we consider not sharp, most people would think is perfect.

I also know for a fact that the HH65A vibration rate is perfectly
synchronized with my bladder - there is a completely different endurance
factor between the fixed wing and helicopter. Must be some kind of helo
vibration that 1/500th doesn't quite cancel out either.

Still looking for that tripod in the sky -  a gyro! (and I would use it on
my Leicas, too)

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger