Subject: [Leica] Re: 90 f/2 or 75 f/1.4
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:19:59 -0700

On 10 Oct 2000, ..RODGERS, RICK wrote, at least in part:

> Hello,  I am trying to decide on which lens to buy fo my first
> leica.

<snip>

> I would rather sacrifice the extra stop in favor of the extra
> focal length but I don't want to sacrifice the quality I saw
> from the 75 1.4. Am I over thinking this? Any opinions
> appreciated.

One of the beauties of Leica lenses, Rick, is that with but a few
exceptions, any Leica lens in any focal length will be as good
and usually better than its analog in other marques. Buy what
best suits your needs.

With the type of photography you do, I'm a bit surprised that
your first choice of a lens for the M6 is either a 75 or 90mm. For
that kind of photography, my first lens choice would be either
the 35mm Summilux ASPH or the 35mm Summicron ASPH,
depending on your wallet. For general travel photography, I
practically have to force myself to take off the 35 Summilux
ASPH to use something else.

No matter. Buy what strikes your fancy for the first lens. It's a
sure thing that you'll soon be buying more lenses.

- --
Roger, List-Owner
The LEG (Leica Enthusiasts Mailing List)
http://www.topica.com/lists/leica