Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 3.5cm 1:35 lens M mount
From: "Jem Kime" <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:23:29 +0100

John,
You will most likely have one of the first lenses made for the M system
before the M2 was 'born'.
Indeed the serial number places it at 1954 vintage.
Between 1954 and '56 the 35mm lens for the M3 keyed the 50mm framelines,
(the widest the M3 would offer) and it was only from 1956 onwards that they
came up with the idea of the 'goggles' or 'specs' (on 35mm lenses
specifically for the M3)that created a wider image through the M3's
viewfinder. Prior to this development the first type of lens required a
seperate viewfinder for use on the M3, just as all non standard lenses had
done on previous Leicas.
Part of the reason for the introduction of the M2 in 1958 was surely that
Leica wished to offer a camera more easily capable of using the wider lenses
without such attachments.
It's a classic lens, many of them by now have had their little frame keying
lugs filed to make them trigger the 35mm frame, this is something you can do
if you wish, judiciously yourself or by handing it over to a repair person.
Others would advise keeping it in pristine 'collector's' condition of
course.
Jem