Subject: Re: [Leica] OT--Newbie Want-to-be-owner of Leica
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:20:52 -0400

I second the recommendation of the m4-2 (or its close cousin the m4-p, which
can handle a 28mm lens without an accessory viewfinder). These cameras are
(relatively cheap) and easy to find in good condition. The loading is
quicker than on the m2/3, and they look a bit less like antiques and more
like things you can throw down stairs (I always do this with a new camera to
'run it in'). Add a hundred bucks for a sekonic incident meter. I know a
couple of people who own both M6s and M4-2/Ps and prefer the older cameras
without the twinkie lights in the vf.

Best bang-for-buck lens is probably a pre-aspheric 35/2 or 35/1.4. The extra
you spend on the 1.4 will be saved since you won't now need any flash.

By the way, don't consider acquiring a leica as spending money... you're
just lending it out to the market until you sell the camera again for the
same or more than you bought it for... except of course that you'll never
sell it...
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com