Subject: [Leica] 35mm Landscapes
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 07:47:39 +0000

Gary Todoroff wrote about doing landscapes with 35mm:

>1) Over the last 30 years I have collected a range of lenses that would cost
>me tens of thousands of dollars to duplicate in medium or large format

A couple of years ago, Gary, I spoke by phone with Tim Ernst, an
exemplary landscape photographer with several books to his credit.  He
told me that he used to use both Leica and Pentax 67, but that he could
seldom tell the difference in print, so sold the Pentaxes. Later he also
sold the Leicas and bought Contaxes.  He said he thought the lenses were
almost as good as Leica but he liked the Contax bodies, especially the
bracketing capabilities so important to his work.

When I have had clients who state that the job needs to be shot in
medium or large format because "we need good quality," I always ask,
innocently, would you like the quality you see in National Geographic?
"Exactly," they reply.  Thus suckered in, I let them know virtually
everything in the mag is 35mm.  End of argument.

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego
www.donalphilby.com