Subject: Re: [Leica] Family of Man II
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:59:22 -0400

on 12/10/00 10:17 pm, Jesse Hellman at hellman@home.com wrote:

> Donal's suggestion is good. "Family" is simple and to-the-point. It is
> the idea, not the name, that is worthy of emulation.

Not that I think titles should ever be decided until you know what it is
you're titling (when I made films I used to offer a bottle of champagne for
the best title suggestion from anyone who worked on it), but 'Family'
implies a lot of photographs of families, and not at all the scope of The
Family of Man, and not at all the reason for doing it in the first place, so
I respectfully suggest to Alistair he keeps his original whambam.

Incidentally, painful as it is to admit, ad people are wonderful at titles.
I had one film series that I simply COULD NOT find a title for. My assistant
producer went out to dinner with a bunch of his friends who worked in
advertising, told them the problem, and got them scribbling down ideas. They
were *all* usable, and one was just brilliant, and we used it. I figured ad
people drank enough champagne so we drank that bottle ourselves for being so
clever as to ask them.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com