Subject: Re: [Leica] What are the experiences with the Digilux?
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:14:52 -0500

vick.ko@sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)10/14/004:56 PM

> What are the experiences with the Digilux?
>
> Does it have the Leica reliability?
>
> Any comments on the computer end or software?
>
> Thanks
>
> Vick

Like everything else in this world - depends what you want to do
with it and your expectations. I have the first generation
Digilux (not the 4.3mp) with the Digicopy accessory. And love it
for what it is and can do, given it's size, weight, resolution
and speed of handling.

Without a doubt it is the fastest way to get digital photos on
the web, in existence, bar none. I captured 36 slides (from the
R8 - using the digicopy) in 14 minutes and the results (for
screen resolution) impressed the client (that means it works).
For the same client I photographed 60 seminar participants and
printed them on an a little Olympus Dye Sub printer during the
event - a 3x5 print ready for use every 2 1/2 minutes and had the
digital files ready for the web and the report instantly.

Other upsides:
    1) Lens is very sharp
    2) The smart media cards are great - slide them into the lab
top and they open like any other 32meg hard drive on the desk top
- - ultra cool no software necessary - the images are just there -
available as jpg's - open them in ps or what ever
    3) The color balance and manual options are very handy
    - and very good
    4) I love the way it looks mounted to a Majestic Head on my
    huge Cambo Studio Stand - very silly - makes me smile
    every time I do it - I'm clearing out the studio on ebay
    5) Great visual notebook, location or model scouting, color
and composition, quick concept tool
    6) Great battery life and quick recharge

The down sides:
    1) The flash position absolutely sucks, virtually useless
    - only slightly improved on the 4.3 version
    2) Low Res - better on the 4.3 version
    3) Lens is slow - prefered the 2.8 on my Olympus 300L - the
curse of teeny tiny zooms
    4) Definitely not built like an M. It's a fairly fragile
little instrument. The 4.3 appears to be even a little worse in
this department. Except for the resolution I prefer the first
version. Definitely get the case
    5) Zoom and Autofocus are a bit slow - don't know about the
4.3

Bottom Line: a day rarely goes by that I don't shoot something
with the damn little thing.

George