Subject: Re: [Leica] 400 and 560/6.8 Grip
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 14 Oct 2000 19:23:51 -0700

On Sat, 14 October 2000, Rick Dykstra wrote:

> Hi Tina, Ted and Doug
>
> I'm just looking at my Leica General Catalogue.  It's a little out of date,
> being from 97, and some of the items listed weren't actually available at
> that point, such as the R8 Motor (or the R8 Winder for that matter!).
>
> But, I've found a description and picture of an 'Electric Release Switch R',
> with a part no 'for Leica R8 with Motor-Winder R8, Order no 14254'.
> The part number for the R3 to R7 is 14237.
>
> The description goes; 'Practical accessory for photography with long focal
> length lenses such as (many lenses listed including the ones you now have).
> When inserted in the universal handgrip (14239) the trigger switch can be
> directly connected with the screw on coupling plug to the Motor Winder R or
> Motor Drive R through the 30 cm cable.'
>
> Sounds like a swish setup.
>
> Doug, do you have a picture of how this all looks in actual use? From the
> pictures in the catalogue, the switch slots into a hole for it at the top of
> the grip of the Universal Handgrip with Shoulder Stock.
>
> Regards
>
> Rick Dykstra

Rick, Nope, I don't have a picture but it works as you've guessed.  There's a setscrew in the handgrip's top plate that anchors the switch in place so it's a solid setup.  My only gripe with it is that it keeps my right hand away from the camera body so switching between auto and manual modes (on the R4sP) takes a bit longer.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.