Subject: [Leica] Re: Pet Peave (OT)
From: Byron Rakitzis <leica@rakitzis.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 21:47:16 -0700

That's all the LUG needs now -- a spelling flame discussion. Flaming
spelling has to be the oldest game on the internet and it will surely
take up our time nicely now that politics is verboten.

Spelling flamesters, beware: a spelling flame is rarely free of its own
mistakes. This tendency also becomes a frustrating self-perpetuating
mechanism for spelling flames: "A: see! You cant spell" -- "B: you cant
spel either!"

AS FOR SENTENCES WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS, any type designer will tell you that
the human eyes read words more comfortably by grasping their shape (via
the ascenders and descenders of d, p, k, l, g, j, y, etc.) rather than
their spelling. All caps (or all lower case) defeats this shortcut we use.

It would be wonderful to wave a magic wand to fix all the bad spelling and
grammar on the net. In the meantime, could I advise "live and let live"?

Byron.

Replies: Reply from "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Pet Peave (OT))