Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: dry & wet darkroom :-()-:
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:30:56 -0400

on 17/10/00 5:13 pm, Mueller, Rob at rob.mueller@eds.com wrote:

> but collectors ( and I include myself in the fine arts area as opposed to
> the commercial {I'm not trying to alienate anyone, only pointing out who my
> clientele are]) can't see past the handprinted photo. there is mystique, a
> sense of craftsmanship, a process that can't be duplicated by themselves
> (they perceive that they can emulate an epson print because they have a
> computer, although I do know how hard that is to do - at least the first
> dozen times). as far as creativity is concerned, I feel there is more
> creativity in the wet darkroom than on computer (I know, but I work on
> computers all day long also!) and that creativity I judge to be worth more
> than an epson photo. Tina, as far the cost of your computer, printer, inks,
> paper, time for learning the program, etc., they may cost more than your
> darkroom, but not in mine. (I like this discussion)

I can see where you're coming from. I guess the piezo process is interesting
in this respect because it has a lot in common with the fine art printmaking
gestalt. The piezo print is made on 'special' paper using a 'special'
technique... it feels and looks 'special'. That's certainly the reaction I
get from folks when they handle something on Somerset Enhanced. 'Wow, this
is great paper... how did you make this??'. Then you show them the 1160 with
the CIS tubes coming out of it like a life support system, and the fog of
mystique envelops them utterly!

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com