Subject: Re: [Leica] Young Male Dear comes close -- what focal ?
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2000 19:55:50 -0700

On Tue, 17 October 2000, Andre Jean Quintal wrote:

> Good Evening,
>
>     1/ Yesterday, I went to my favorite city park
>     to soak in some Nature and, as I stood real quiet,
>     heard crackling sounds nearby but there was absolutely
>     no one in the park as it was cold and snow could
>     have started falling any moment. Crackling sounds
>     again, then a few more times. It was a young male
>     dear (very dark brown, white spot on the muzzle,
>     the inside of the ears and edge of tail, some on belly),
>     just grazing in the underbush, for some favorite
>     treat under the (mostly) fallen leaves.
>     He became aware of me but, as I stood motionless,
>     feeling blessed, simply continued his meal.
>     At some point, maybe twenty-thirty minutes later,
>     I called him as I do for my cat, he faced me square,
>     ears attentive, eye to eye contact, but he decided
>     I was no danger, came as close as 15 feet,
>     maybe a bit less, then just returned to his browsing.
>     His antlers were about 9"-10" with two "points"
>     and he seemed in excellent health.
>
>     2/ You can well imagine I was quite excited
>     and, of course, I had no camera.  :+(
>     By experience, this would have been an ISO 100
>     1/60 f/4 or f/5.6, flat lighting conditions, quite gray,
>     very dark clouds overhead, low-key colors.
>
>     Q: to get his head full-frame, would it have been
>     a 180 / 280 / 400 mm lens that would have been a better
>     choice ? I have almost no telephoto experience
>     (as I don't really like the impression), but, just
>     to know, is there some sort of "rule of thumb"
>     quick computation that helps in choosing a lens
>     for telephoto purposes, a bit like some freehand
>     drawers do with their thumb and a pencil perhaps?
>
>     Q2: to most LUG people, is it OBVIOUS a telephoto
>     shot with Leica brand products was made with
>     a monofocal (ex: 180mm f/3.4) versus a mid-range
>     zoom (ex: 80-200mm) ? Or is it more 50 / 50
>     in most cases ? [ Are the "Modul" lenses so superior
>     that any LUG person would instantly know ?
>     They're quite an expensive proposition ... ]
>
>     I'm not about to buy telephoto gear but I sure
>     am interested in any "rule of thumb" secret ...
>
>     Best regards, wishing you all the same experience,
>
>     Andre Jean Quintal

Andre,

Yes we should all be so fortunate.  My rule of thumb has always been "use the shortest lens you need to get the picture".  I usually start with the 560, and if I'm patient I'll switch to the 400, or if the animal is big enoug the 250 will do.  On rare occasions a 90mm lens has been perfect.  For this situation I'd guess that lenses between 90mm (full body) and 180 (head & shoulders) would have worked well.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento