Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: dry & wet darkroom :-()-:
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:38:59 EDT

This is day three of a marathon darkroom stint for me and its fun to come

out, check mail, and read where this discussion is going. I can't wait to

go to the AIPAD event next february in NYC (100+ gallery owners trotting

out their collections at the NY Hilton) to see where they stand on the

digital, gelatin debate.

Bill Franson>>

Bill,

Last year I already saw a few Iris prints and the special "laser" prints of
John Fokus at the AIPAD show.

I purchased a Fokus print for $550 at that show because I really liked his
work and the price seemed to be a good one simply because it WASN'T silver
gelatin. It looked to me that I might have been just about the ONLY one to
have purchased one of these hig res. digital prints the whole show as at the
end the pile of prints from him looked just about the same.

Since that show, I have heard that he tries to sell his prints for $750-$1000
now, but I'm not sure if he gets it or not. He was just featured in either
View Camera or Camera Arts a few months ago so perhaps that has helped him.

While I think that any "alternative" process should be judged on the results
rather than the origins of the process...it seems that the art market has not
yet adopted that view. At least at last years show, we'll see this year.

I think it will slowly have to admit that great work can be produced in
digital ways just as it can be with other non-silver process...

later,
Rich